Wednesday 14 June 2017

Tuesday 2.0

Hey everybody and welcome to the Roger in Sabbatical blog where I struggle with the realisation that all projects I do get resolved as if it's a software problem. When your best tool is a hammer, everything becomes a nail.

Today's lesson comes in the shape of iterative, incremental design. During Tuesday 1.0, the square form of the forgehouse was marked up out back and it just looks a little out of place in the context of the rest of the garden. Today is Tuesday 2.0 and represents the last cost effective time I can move the walls before it becomes a pain in the ass.
This must be what a producer feels like, and bleh, it's terrible. So for extra credit today, I've learned a little about exactly where the buck stops. 

Seeing the thing in position is the integration test - does this part work with all of the other parts? I have unbelievable confidence that it'll work perfectly in isolation. The forgehouse is well designed, it's the right size, materials, and composition. All unit tests passing. But how it slots into the rest of the garden is the problem I had to solve in Tuesday 2.0

The two options are reasonably simple - I can "stick with the plan" and run with the 3x5 size or trim it down to about 2.5x4.5. This is only a smidgen off the size, and a 25% reduction in footprint but brings it clear of the surroundings a bit and is just going to look better. 

Next on the agenda is learning how to make a bowstring. There are a few different types and techniques, so I twisted and tied string until my hands cramped, and eventually blisters threatened to end the day.
This is an interesting self-limiting factor that I'll have to consider over the next hundred days - I'll have to round-robin the skills I learn so that I don't overextend myself. It's going to take more production work. I can see this turning into a gant chart.

Having to make an irreversible construction decision and finalise the size of the forgehouse was more of a mental struggle than I was prepared for. I guess it goes to show that sometimes you've got to go big or go home, and I'm already home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Going Pro

Hey everybody, what is going on? Welcome to the Sabbatical blog where I turn a hundred days of boredom into a never ending source of projec...